Applications and Development Engineer
Reporting To: Chief Applications Engineer
Torquemeters is a specialist engineering company with a worldwide reputation as an innovator in low volume, high performance solutions for torque measurement, power transmission and test bed systems across various industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy and oil & gas.
We wish to recruit an Applications and Development Engineer to grow the strength of the Applications and Product Development team and assist company growth plans as the recent technology roadmap exercise will add new products to its portfolio and further strengthen its position in the market.
Applications and Development engineers provide technical solutions to customer enquiries and study, research and develop ideas for new products and methods used to make them. Working on a wide range of rotating machinery, couplings and test rigs of bespoke design that must be functional and reliable, easy and safe to use, including modifying existing products or processes to increase efficiency or improve performance.
Duties in the role include:
- Support the Chief Applications Engineer in providing timely response to new application and product enquiries.
- Produce innovative designs/ideas and create workable and cost-effective solutions.
- Assist in new product development and product improvement activities including brainstorming, design, analysis, supplier selection and testing.
- Create 3D CAD conceptual designs and 2D drawings.
- Collaborate with manufacturing, assembly and testing to build in-house R&D test rigs for new product development.
- The ability to conduct test schedules, document the results and present these findings clearly.
- Work on short and long-term projects both in managing, documenting and performing the project activities.
- The selection and specification of suitable equipment suppliers and processes.
Applicants must have:
- A 2.1 degree in Mechanical engineering with Aerospace/Automotive/Energy/Oil & Gas background together with 2 to 4 years of demonstrable experience in a similar role.
- Ability to use CAD (preferably Creo Elements or SolidWorks) and FEA (preferably Ansys Workbench) tools.
- Ability to perform hand calculations for preliminary design, sizing and stress assessment of static and rotating components.
- Material selection and knowledge of conventional manufacturing processes.
- Ability to create and interpret engineering drawings and GD&T.
- Good understanding of Strength of Materials, Fatigue, Vibrations and Rotor dynamics.
- Advanced MS Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) skills.
Key skill requirements
- Innovative and resourceful
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Strong analytical, maths and IT skills
- Strong written and oral communication, with good interpersonal manner
- Commercial awareness
- Proven time management and procedural abilities
- Be able to demonstrate achievements in practical technical activities outside of work
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with the abilities and experience that you bring to us, together with an excellent contributory pension scheme, death in service and income protection benefits, and a non-contractual annual profit share bonus dependant on company profits.
Support to apply and maintain IMechE membership will be available.
- Core hours of work are 37 per week based on Monday to Thursday 08:30 – 17:15 with ½ hour lunch break, and Fridays 08:30 – 12:30.
- Five weeks paid annual leave plus statutory Bank Holidays.
Torquemeters premises are situated in a rural location, and your own transport will be required.
Relocation assistance may be considered subject to company T&C’s.
Please send in your CV, together with a personal statement, to email@example.com