Applications and Development Engineer
Reporting To: Chief Applications Engineer
Torquemeters is a specialist engineering company with a worldwide reputation as an innovator in low volume, high performance solutions for torque measurement, power transmission and test bed systems across the aerospace, automotive, energy, renewables and oil & gas sectors.
Our Applications and Development engineers assist Business Development to provide technical solutions to customer enquiries and study, research and develop ideas for new products and methods used to make them. You will be working on a wide range of high-speed rotating machinery, couplings and test rigs of bespoke design that must be functional, reliable, easy and safe to use, including modifying existing products or processes to increase efficiency or improve performance.
Applicants must have the following qualifications:
- A 2.1 degree in Mechanical engineering with Aerospace/Automotive/Energy/Oil & Gas background together with 2 to 4 years of demonstrable experience in a similar role.
- Working knowledge and experience of CAD (preferably SolidWorks or Creo Elements) and FEA (preferably Ansys Workbench) tools.
- Ability to create and interpret engineering drawings with GD&T.
- Ability to perform hand calculations for preliminary design, sizing, and stress assessment of static and rotating components.
- Material selection and knowledge of conventional manufacturing processes.
- Good understanding of Strength of Materials, Metal Fatigue, and Rotordynamics.
We are looking for an individual that is by nature innovative, proactive, and self-motivated. You will need a good interpersonal manner together with strong written and oral communication skills to deal with customers, suppliers, and internal departments. You will be commercially aware and have excellent time management abilities.
The main duties of this role will be:
- Support the Chief Applications Engineer in providing timely response to new application and product enquiries.
- Produce innovative designs/ideas and create workable and cost-effective solutions.
- Assist in new product development and product improvement activities including brainstorming, design, analysis, supplier selection and testing.
- Create 3D CAD conceptual designs and 2D drawings.
- Collaborate with manufacturing, assembly and testing to build in-house R&D test rigs for new product development.
- The ability to conduct test schedules, document the results and present these findings clearly.
- Work on short and long-term projects both in managing, documenting, and performing the project activities.
- The selection and specification of suitable equipment suppliers and processes.
In return for your skills we will offer you a competitive salary, together with an excellent contributory pension scheme, death in service and income protection benefits, and a non-contractual annual profit share bonus. Support to apply for and/ or maintain your IMechE membership is available.
- Core hours of work are 37 per week based on Monday to Thursday 08:30 - 17:15 with ½ hour lunch break, and Fridays 08:30 - 12:30.
- Five weeks paid annual leave plus statutory Bank Holidays.
Torquemeters premises are situated in a rural location, and your own transport will be required.
Please send in your CV, together with a personal statement, to firstname.lastname@example.org